Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Stack Rock ‘break-in’ raises LNG safety concerns

Published

on

The owner of one of the Milford Haven waterway’s most well known landmarks has raised concerns that a suspected break-in at his island fortress means that the LNG jetty may not be as well protected as once first thought.

On August 19 owner Gary Phillips says he was shocked to hear from a friend who happened to be sailing past Stack Rock on Saturday that the door was open and appeared to be damaged. The doors were secured with industrial grade padlocks.
Gary Philips told the Herald: “It seems incredible that this could have happened, as sites near the LNG jetty are protected 24 hours a day by MI5 and the police. Whenever I visit the fort in my boat, special force police are right there in minutes asking my what I am doing.”
“I called the police but was refused contact details for the LNG marine protection squad both at Milford police station and at Carmarthen HQ. I was contacted later and told that the police had carried out an inspection of the fort” he continued.
“The officer told me that because of the rusty condition of the door fittings the wind must have forced it open; but that didn’t sound right so I went to the fort this morning to see for myself. There was an industrial grade lock and hasp. The door is still on its hinges and there is evidence that the lock has taken a hammering and the hasp has been hacksawed in two. Whoever broke in must have had the right kit for the job with them and made a hell of a noise – the place was locked up like a fortress. I just don’t understand how it could happen right under their noses” he said.
Gary Philips slammed the lack of police action: “What concerns me is the police put it down to wind after a site inspection. If that’s the quality of their investigative powers, then they’re in serious need of retraining. These LNG sites pose a real risk if anyone attacks them.”
A email was forwarded to The Herald from investigating officer Mike Brown. It read: “The metal clasp and one of the padlocks had broken off, I could see no other signs of forced entry, tool marks etc, and it is my opinion that this damage was a result of years and years of corrosion on the metal which finally gave way, potentially in recent high winds
Police spokesman Antony Topazio said “Following the report of an incident at Stack Rock Fort, which was reported to police on August 20, Dyfed-Powys Police attended the facility and no further action will be taken.”
Gary Philips concluded: “You can see clearly from the photos that the lock has been hacked or ground off”. He has owned the fort for eight years having purchased it for £150,000.
StackRock (2)
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

[VIDEO] Man who stayed at leisure centre overnight escorted out by police

Published

on

A MAN who stayed overnight at Pembroke Leisure Centre and filmed his actions, before posting them on Facebook, was led away by police.

Pembrokeshire County Council say the incident happened last week on February 8.

The videos were posted on Facebook last night (Feb 14).

Warning: Strong language in the videos

Dubbing the action an ‘overnight challenge’, John Brunton can be seen in the videos dedicated his actions to the ‘love of his life’, before stripping down to his boxer shorts.

He then proceeds to climb over an internal gate and removes the pool cover before jumping in and swimming around.

A video posted later on shows Mr Brunton claiming that blue flashing lights are outside the building and he anticipates the police arresting him.

In a final video, Mr Brunton is filming two police officers, which he says is for his own safety as he fears they would attack him, before being led out of the leisure centre.

The videos have received hundreds of likes and shares on the social media site.

Continue Reading

News

Strike action at Port cancelled

Published

on

THE PORT OF MILOFRD HAVEN and Unite the Union have jointly announced that their discussions have concluded, and all industrial action has ceased.

The dispute related to concerns regarding the creation of a two-tier workforce.

Both parties are pleased to have come to an agreement.

Unite, its members employed at the Port and management at the Port of Milford Haven have engaged in ‘constructive dialogue’ which the Port says they look forward to continuing into the future.

Andy Jones, Interim Chief Executive at the Port of Milford Haven said: “As of 1500hrs today the Port resumed normal operations. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our customers and wider stakeholders for their constructive support during this episode.”

Continue Reading

News

80-year-old hit by car in supermarket car park

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses, following a report a woman was hit by a car in Morrisons car park, Haverfordwest, just after 11am yesterday (February 14).

It was reported that a woman, aged in her 80s, was hit by a black car near the entrance of the store.

She was taken to hospital with slight injuries.

Anyone who was in the area at the time, or saw anything, is urged to contact PC 198 Robb by calling 101.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference: DP-20190214-107

Continue Reading
News6 hours ago

[VIDEO] Man who stayed at leisure centre overnight escorted out by police

A MAN who stayed overnight at Pembroke Leisure Centre and filmed his actions, before posting them on Facebook, was led...

News8 hours ago

Strike action at Port cancelled

THE PORT OF MILOFRD HAVEN and Unite the Union have jointly announced that their discussions have concluded, and all industrial...

News8 hours ago

80-year-old hit by car in supermarket car park

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses, following a report a woman was hit by a car in Morrisons car park,...

News1 day ago

Emergency team ‘dropped the ball’ in response to flooding

A MEMBER of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Emergency Planning team has said they ‘dropped the ball’ in their response to the...

News1 day ago

Motorists warned about roads covered in glass

A LORRY which was carrying glass bottles for recycling has lost a significant amount of its load across Pembrokeshire roads...

News2 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Protest planned following concerns of animal suffering

WORRIED residents in Pembroke and Pembroke Dock are organising a protest at a local farm where they believe that there...

News2 days ago

Merlins Bridge: Diversions to be in place this weekend during bridge replacement

HAVERFORDWEST residents are reminded of the essential replacement of Milford Road railway bridge this weekend. Between Friday (Feb 15) and...

News2 days ago

Family brawl results in court case

A 46-YEAR-OLD woman from Pembroke Dock was found guilty of assault following a trial at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday...

News2 days ago

Merlins Bridge: Lorry transporting excavator freed from bridge

TRAFFIC was congested on the A4076 at Merlins Bridge last night (Feb 12) as a lorry which was transporting an...

News3 days ago

Neyland woman admits mistreating woman in her care

A WOMAN from Neyland has admitted mistreating a woman who was in her care at Swansea Crown Court. 50-year-old April...

Popular This Week